The new Orange County Register iPad app brings you closer to home than ever before with exclusive, local content that’s tailor-made for tablet technology so you can experience all the OC has to offer anytime anywhere.
What is it? Well, it’s more than just news… Check out the screenshot below, then keep reading for more details.
- Featured story: An exclusive, multi-layered package specifically for iPad users, which may include articles, photo slideshows, video, audio and other “touch and swip” features to bring stories to life.
- News, weather and traffic: Built-in widgets that feed breaking news and the latest traffic/weather conditions.
- Categories: Six sections with a selection of stories: News for O.C., Sports, Business, Trending, Things to Do, and a Photo/Video gallery. Simply tap the screen to open a story page. Read multi-page articles by scrolling up. Swipe right to left to see the next article.
- Advertising: Full-page and banner sponsorships are built as original content. Ads take advantage of functionality and interactivity unique to the iPad (video, swipe to view merchandise, connection to social networks, etc.). Learn more about advertising opportunities here.
- Home: Allows users to get back to the home page.
- Page Viewer: Allows users to skim the issue quickly.
- Store: Allows users to download a new issue when iPad is connected to the internet.
Let’s go into details…
Exclusive, Curated, Local Content
The app offers exclusive, locally-focused content and highly interactive feature stories many of which cannot be found online or in print. Other content is published in the app before it can be seen in print. You’ll have access to 60 timely, relevant stories in six different categories – News, Sports, Business, Trending, Things to Do, and Photo/Video Gallery.
Access to Tomorrow’s News Today
The app features live news such as traffic reports and weather as well as some articles that are released early so that you can enjoy tomorrow’s news today by downloading each new edition at 6pm PST. Yes, it’s a download but in exchange you get more than just images and text, you get an elevated, interactive experience that you can enjoy both on and offline.
Custom-Made for Tablet Technology
The app is a multimedia-rich, magazine-like experience that is custom-made for the iPad, where you can swipe, tap, and play with content to the full extent of tablet technology. It’s a new way to experience OC content unlike those we already feature in our iPhone application, website and printed paper.
Free for Now, and Free for Print Subscribers Forever
The app is free to use right now, but to continue to provide a rich experience; we will eventually ask consumers to pay for each edition. But that’s still at least four months down the road and we can ensure that the pricing will be competitive with other newspaper applications. And for our loyal print subscribers, it will always be free.
Other content on the OCR’s iPad app includes:
- Original articles
- Slideshows including full screen video and 360-degree photos
- Real time data, info-graphics, charts and illustrations
- Voting, rating and other interactive capabilities
- Breaking news widget
- Live local weather and traffic
- Ability to download full editions for offline viewing
- An archive of past editions and feature stories
So take a swipe out of the OC and download the app today!
We are also always interested in hearing what our readers have to say so please follow and connect with the OC Register’s iPad app at: